South Carolina Governor’s School for Science & Mathematics
The mission of the South Carolina Governor’s School for Science and Mathematics (GSSM) is to seek out and advance the state’s most talented and motivated students, offering them a transforming education in science, mathematics and engineering that cultivates joy in learning and builds the confidence to engage as ethical leaders with the world’s most significant issues. In alignment with its mission, GSSM seeks a Student Success Coordinator to begin Fall 2019.
GSSM is nationally recognized for the quality of its advanced STEM, research, and international programs. The school has embarked on a visionary strategic plan to identify and challenge highly motivated and capable students, from all backgrounds in South Carolina, and help them achieve their highest potential. Our faculty come from all over the world and share a passion for their disciplines and a gift to inspire and lead their students to understanding and a joy for learning.
We are looking for outstanding individuals who believe in the GSSM mission, commit themselves to the success of the students, enjoy learning, and set an example for joyful curiosity, hard work, and collegiality.
Marketing Communications Manager
Experience of Applicants:
Candidates should have a successful track record (3 years) of leadership involvement with integrated marketing strategies; hands-on knowledge of photography, video, and associated editing and publishing practices; experience successfully managing a social media strategy; exceptional and persuasive written, verbal, and visual communication skills; ability to work successfully in a fast paced environment with a diverse group of clients; understanding of the need for confidentiality and the ability to protect sensitive personal information, and ability to work and identify improvement opportunities independently. Experience in a higher or secondary education institution is preferred.
Education of Applicants: A bachelor’s degree in a supportive field. A Master’s degree preferred.
Description of Work:
The major responsibilities for this position are:
• Maintain GSSM brand and consistent messaging across all platforms and public-facing items.
• Guide the development and execution of the school’s social media strategy.
• Assist the GSSM Foundation with the design and production of materials used for fundraising and Foundation sponsored activities.
• Create and publish content relating to school activities and accomplishments that are relevant to the interests of stakeholder groups including, but not limited to, parents, students, alumni, staff, prospective families, corporate partners, government and legislative entities, prospective employment candidates, and bodies involved in oversight and accreditation.
• Photograph and video school events, including travel events and off-campus locations, for promotion, evaluation, and archival purposes. Maintain photo library and permission to photograph and video students.
• Working with all divisions, design and produce printed materials promoting campus events and supporting marketing and admissions.
• Develop, produce and coordinate distribution of all direct mail, admissions/recruitment publications, program and marketing ads for camps, etc.
• Write and distribute traditional press releases about school and student achievements.
• Manage the GSSM website and create an engaging presence on the school’s social media outlets and website.
• Media Relations: develop contacts and working relationships with media outlets across South Carolina.
• Working with all divisions, create and maintain the school events calendar.
• Develop, maintain, and communicate policies and procedures that ensure that school information is accurate, available, and secure at all times.
• Maintain a high level of personal currency with relevant trends and standards, especially as they apply to education, marketing, and constituent engagement.
• Monitor and report on the success of media campaigns and the effectiveness of the school’s media strategy.
• Ensure that information published across platforms is timely, consistent, and reliable.
• Develop and maintain the marketing budget annually.
• Train others to use social media effectively and to create a consistent message and institutional voice.
• Chair the GSSM Marketing Committee, involving all major constituent groups.
Salary and Benefits: This is a fulltime position with State benefits and a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The School Psychologist, which is a new position, will manage IEPs and 504 Plans and their evaluation, therapeutic interventions, crisis stabilization, and the coordination of services with families. Reporting to the Wellness Counseling unit, this position will also provide programming and training for faculty, staff, and students independently and/or in collaboration with other departments and/or student groups.
Minimal credentials include a master’s degree in school psychology with current state and national credentials and at least five years of full-time experience.
Candidates with experience working with advanced high school students in a specialized academic environment is welcomed. Successful candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to excellence and to educating the whole person.
This is a full-time position with State benefits and a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The preferred start date is on or before August 2019
S.C. Governor’s School for Science & Mathematics (SCGSSM) As a school recognized for academic excellence, SCGSSM invites applications for a Wellness Counselor. This professional will work closely with GSSM residential students providing behavioral/mental health support services and programming. Successful candidates will have specific knowledge regarding the social, emotional, and developmental needs of teenagers and young adults.
The Wellness Counselor will join our wellness team which includes our school nurses and psychologist/licensed professional counselor in assisting with clinical evaluation, therapeutic interventions, and crisis stabilization. This counselor will provide programming for students independently or in collaboration with other departments and/or student organizations.
Minimal credentials include a master’s degree in psychology, counseling, social work, or a related field with state credentialing as a licensed professional within the discipline. At least four years of counseling experience, preferably with young adults in a specialized setting is welcomed. Professional license must be current. Successful candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to excellence and to educating the whole person.
This is a full-time, 10-month, position with State benefits and a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The preferred start date is on or before August 2019.
Please apply electronically. Forward a cover letter and resume, along with the GSSM/State Application, available on our website (www.scgssm.org/employment), to Careers@gssm.k12.sc.us. Include “Wellness Counselor” in the subject line.
Experience of Applicants: The successful applicant must have at least four years of counseling experience, preferably with young adults in a specialized setting is welcomed. Candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to excellence and to educating the whole person.
About GSSM: Located in Hartsville, SC, SCGSSM is a statewide, public residential high school for 11th and 12th graders specializing in the advanced study of science, mathematics, and engineering. Visit www.scgssm.org.
Applying: These positions are open until filled. Please apply electronically. Preferably in one pdf file, forward a cover letter, resume and teaching statement, along with the GSSM application available at www.scgssm.org/employment. Forward all materials to email address: Careers@gssm.k12.sc.us Please include the “Job Title” in the subject line.
The S.C. GSSM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location/Region: Hartsville, SC (29550)